What happened to Kay Longstaff, how did the she survive at sea for 10 hours and why did she jump overboard?

BRITISH air hostess Kay Longstaff survived ten HOURS in the Adriatic sea near Croatia after jumping off a cruise ship – but how did she live to tell the tale?

Here we reveal what happened to her, how she survived, and when she was rescued…

What happened to Kay Longstaff?

Air hostess Kay Longstaff spent ten hours treading water in the Adriatic sea after jumping overboard from a Norwegian Star cruise ship.

She was dramatically pulled from the water around 1,300 metres from where she vanished and was lifted to safety.

Kay is believed to have jumped overboard around 60 miles south of Croatian port Pula shortly before midnight on August 18.

She had reportedly spent the night drinking with her boyfriend before the two got into a heated argument.

The 46-year-old was reportedly moments from giving up when she was saved.

A source told the Daily Mail: "She had hypothermia and a haematoma on her right cheek from where she hit the water.

How did she survive falling off a cruise ship?

Speaking after her rescue, Kay said: "I fell off the back of the Norwegian Star and I was in the water for about ten hours. These wonderful guys rescued me."

A rescuer revealed how Kay told them how she survived her ordeal.

“She said the fact that she practices yoga helped her as she was fit.

"And she said she was singing to not feel cold in the sea overnight”.

What has she said?

A director at the hospital where she is being treated yesterday revealed that Kay said: "It has happened, what has happened and I want to come home as soon as possible."

It comes after Kay reportedly had an "emotional and full of love" reunion with her boyfriend, expat Craig Rayment.

The captain of the rescue ship Cavtat, Lovro Oreskovic, also told daily newspaper Jutarnji List the incident occurred on the last day of Kay's trip.

He said: "She told us it was the last day of her three weeks holidays. We warmed her up, gave her first aid, she took some water, then a soup, an isotonic drunk and a pudding before she fell asleep.

"Before that she asked whether she would need to pay for the expenses of the search. But we calmed her down."



Monster gave Angel a life sentence but he'll be out in two years, say family


Thug who left girlfriend 'unable to walk or talk' poses with huge knife


Gran, 49, detained after grandson, 5, stabbed to death as family pay tribute


Ex-Spurs ace Chris Armstrong faces jail after PUNCHING Tesco worker over fags

When was she rescued?

Kay was found at around 9.30am local time (8.30am UK time) on August 19, around 1,300 metres from where she vanished.

Wearing just denim shorts and a top, Kay was plucked from the 20C water by coastguards and taken on board a rescue boat.

Asked her name and where she was from by reporters, she replied: "Kay… from England".

She was treated by medics and taken to hospital in Pula but was discharged a short time later.

A hospital official confirmed: "The British woman was brought to the hospital and her life is not endangered."

Source: Read Full Article