Twitter suspends Trumps new From the Desk account

More On:

twitter

Disney hypes real-life lightsaber in time for #RevengeOfTheFifth

Mysterious lights streak across Seattle sky

Trump gets around social media ban with new site that can be shared on Facebook, Twitter

Edward’s coffee order has Starbucks barista begging to end TikTok trend

Twitter has suspended the account for former President Donald Trump’s newly launched communications platform that he uses to post his statements.

The 45th commander-in-chief revealed his new website, “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump,” on Tuesday, which allows him to provide his thoughts in Twitter-style posts that can then be shared on social media sites he has been banned from.

The site is meant to serve as “a place to speak freely and safely,” a statement from Team Trump argued. The team is working on developing the site further to give him the ability to communicate directly with his followers.

Trump’s moves to circumvent the social media blockades did not appear to work out — at least with regard to Twitter.

By Wednesday evening, the account, @DJTDesk, had been suspended.

Twitter did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment.

Reps for the former president did not immediately respond either.

The platform permanently banned the then-president following the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

At the time, Twitter defended its suspension as “due to the risk of further incitement of violence.”

The company’s continued position that it will not consider allowing him back on its platform, even if he were to return to public office, has rubbed many the wrong way, including some of Trump’s political opponents.

A company rep said in March that the restriction would be lifted once it was clear there was no longer an “elevated violence risk.”

Facebook, meanwhile, ordered an indefinite ban on the president.

Google-owned YouTube banned Trump from posting videos after the riot, as well.

In the three months since banning the then-president, Facebook deferred to their Oversight Board to make a final call on letting Trump return to their platforms.

On Wednesday morning the Board announced they would be upholding the ban but said an indefinite suspension of Trump’s account was inappropriate and the company has six months to lay out new penalties.

Trump slammed the decision in a statement, which was unable to be shared on social media, in which he said that the companies censoring him “must pay a political price.”

“What Facebook, Twitter, and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our Country. Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever before,” he said in an emailed statement.

“The People of our Country will not stand for it! These corrupt social media companies must pay a political price, and must never again be allowed to destroy and decimate our Electoral Process,” he said.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article