Tragic Archie Battersbee dies after life support of boy, 12, switched off as his mum sobs 'he fought until the very end' | The Sun

ARCHIE Battersbee died in hospital today after his life support was switched off as his mum sobbed: "He fought to the very end".

The tragic 12-year-old spent almost five months in intensive care after suffering brain damage in a social media dare.

Archie has been unresponsive ever since the "freak accident" – with doctors declaring him "brain-stem dead".

His mum Hollie Dance and dad Paul Battersbee launched a lengthy High Court legal battle to keep their beloved boy alive in the hope he would recover on his own.

But they lost their fight at every hurdle, with judges ruling that keeping his life support switched on was not in the youngster's "best interests".

Hollie tragically confirmed her "beautiful little boy" Archie had passed away at 12.15pm today as she called herself "the proudest mum in the world".

Read More in UK News

All you need to know about what happened to Archie Battersbee

Fruit picker, 22, in court charged with murdering girl, 9, stabbed to death

Sobbing, she said: "Archie fought right until the very end and I am so proud to be his mum".

Ella Rose Carter, the fiance of Archie's eldest brother Tom, added: "He was taken off medication at 10am, his stats remained stable until two hours later when they removed the ventilation.

"There is absolutely nothing dignified about watching a family member or a child suffocate.

"We hope no family has to go through what we have been through. It's barbaric."

Most read in The Sun


Fans say same thing about Sky Sports' new scoreboard for Palace v Arsenal


Lauren Goodger 'attacked' by boyfriend just hours after tragic baby's funeral


Archie's family told life support will end this morning after losing appeal


Brits warned as thousands of venomous spider crabs swarm beach in Cornwall

Devastated Hollie vowed to fight until Archie's heart stopped beating as she tirelessly fought for her son.

She was dealt a final crushing blow yesterday when she lost a last-ditch legal bid to have her boy taken away from the Royal London Hospital to a hospice to die.

She hoped he would be able to "spend his last moments" in private – without nurses and doctors.

But judge Mrs Justice Theis said Archie should remain at hospital when treatment is withdrawn.

She echoed the concerns of the health trust responsible for Archie's care, who found the boy's condition is too unstable for him to be transferred elsewhere.

Doctors feared an ambulance journey "would most likely hasten the premature deterioration the family wish to avoid".

Defiant Hollie then sought help from the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), but they said they would not intervene by applying the “interim measures” permitted in “exceptional” cases.

She told how Archie's machines in hospital were "constantly beeping" up until a month ago.

She believed they had "calmed", which she said showed "progress".

The mum told the Daily Mail: "“They are still the backdrop to my world though.

"Whatever happens I think I will hear those machines for the rest of my life.”

It was revealed Hollie may give her son mouth-to-mouth if doctors withdraw oxygen when his machines are switched off.

It has not been confirmed whether the grieving mum carried out CPR in her son's final minutes.

In a statement, Hollie said previously: "If Archie is denied oxygen if and when life support is removed I will continue to give him oxygen.

"I pray that the High Court will do the right thing. If they refuse permission for us to take him to a hospice and for him to receive palliative oxygen it will simply be inhumane and nothing about Archie's 'dignity.'

"The whole system has been stacked against us.

"Reform must now come through Charlie's Law so that no parents have to go through this. 

"We will fight to the end for Archie's right to live."

Read More on The Sun

Ashley Roberts shows off killer curves and abs in pink string bikini

How SeaWorld orca Keto killed trainer ‘crushing him & playing with his body’

Archie was found with a ligature over his head at home in Southend, Essex, on April 7 this year.

The youngster suffered brain damage in the "freak accident" and was unresponsive ever since.

He was kept alive by a combination of medical interventions, including ventilation and drug treatments, at the hospital in Whitechapel, East London.

    Source: Read Full Article