Parents of girl, 2, who died choking on sausage at nursery fear toddler wasn't properly supervised

HEARTBROKEN parents of a toddler who died after choking on a sausage at her nursery have questioned if she was properly supervised by staff.

Little Sadie Salt, 2, suddenly stopped breathing while having lunch at Mini Learners in Radlett, Herts in November 2020.

An air ambulance was called to the scene and the youngster was then taken to St Mary's Hospital in Paddington.

Despite the best efforts of medical staff the youngster, who lived with her family in Barnet, died two days later.

Her parents are now questioning weather staff were “organised and able” to help their daughter, a pre-inquest review heard today at Hertford Coroners Court.

Charlotte Gilmartin, representing Sadie's family, said: "The family would like to raise issues about the 999 call and the response to the incident.

"The extent to which there was training and supervision on that day and how staff were organised and able to respond to events such as this."

An inquest jury is set to determine the facts of Sadie's death during a hearing which will last a few days, and is expected to take place within the next six months.

Most read in The Sun


My world collapsed with footie scandal – but now I rake in £500k on OnlyFans


Urgent warning to all Brits who had Omicron in December


Brits face 'avalanche' of £70 parking fines after new rules come into force


Strictly's Nadiya & Kai caught kissing in pic that proves they're an item

Evidence is expected from Ofsted, the Department of Education and the local council.

Zoe and Adam Salt, from Barnet, London, said in a statement: "In the time that has passed since Sadie's death we have suffered grief and heartbreak that no family should have to endure.

"Nothing can make up for the devastating loss of our daughter, but part of being able to come to terms with what happened will be hearing a clear account of the events of that day.

"We are grateful to the coroner for at this early stage making the space to consider whether there are wider public interest issues surrounding the death of Sadie."

Sadie's family have raised more than £60,000 for COSMIC, the charity that supports the Children's Intensive Care Unit at St Mary's Hospital in London, where she died.

An online petition to ban nurseries from serving sausages and grapes to under 5s was launched after Sadie's death and gained 12,000 signatures.

Paying tribute to their daughter at the time, Zoe and Adam added: We are in terrible pain as we suffer the untimely loss of our daughter and sister, but the huge support of love from you all has been overwhelming.

"We are so proud to tell you that she was able to help others by donating vital organs to go on and save lives. 

"Please show your love and support for Sadie and us by giving to this wonderful charity. It means so much to us all and from the bottom of our hearts we thank you all for thinking of us."

A Mini Learners nursery spokesman previously said: "We are absolutely devastated by this news and our sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to the family."

    Source: Read Full Article