Mother warns others not to leave chargers plugged in after house fire

Mother, 40, warns others not to leave phone chargers plugged in overnight after fire destroyed uninsured family home

  • Donna Symes, 40, from Glasgow heard the smoke alarm and rushed upstairs
  • She found a fire in her son’s room which started from a phone charger   
  • The mother pleaded people to insure their homes and check their smoke alarms
  • The family are staying in a hotel while they try to find somewhere to stay in the lead up to Christmas 

A mother has warned others not to leave phone chargers plugged in overnight after a fire destroyed her uninsured family home. 

Donna Symes, 40, from Glasgow had been preparing dinner with her husband Mohamed at around 8pm last night when the home fire alarm went off.

The singer ran upstairs to find a fire had erupted in her 13-year-old son Kane’s bedroom and had started from a phone charger that had been plugged in next to his bed.

The tragic event ended up destroying most of the home and sentimental items.

Horrific images show the aftermath of Kane’s bedroom which is completely destroyed and burned to pieces

Donna Symes pleaded people to get their homes insured, check their smoke alarms and check plugs and appliances to make sure they are not overheating 

Ms Symes ran upstairs to find a fire had erupted in her 13-year-old son Kane’s bedroom and had started from a phone charger that had been plugged in next to his bed

Ms Symes filmed a heartbreaking video as she walked through her smoke-blackened house and assessed the damage.

Speaking today, she said: ‘I have a son with additional needs, Kane, and a daughter, Kiera, and a two-year old daughter called Ayesha. The older two have lost so much from the fire – more-so Kane, as the fire started in his room.

‘The older two’s dad passed away 10 years ago and literally any wee keepsakes he had of him are gone. But we’re a strong family.

‘If I can spread awareness, check your plugs and appliances – not just at night. Ensure smoke alarms work – they saved our lives’.

She took to Facebook to warn others about the dangers of leaving plugs on, while revealing she does not have home insurance to cover any of the damage costs.

The post read: ‘So I’m writing this from my hotel room – a fire broke out in Kanes room just after 8pm tonight.

‘Started from a phone charger behind the bed.

‘Three of us were downstairs sorting dinner and the smoke alarms went off.

‘Our home is literally devastated. My boys room obliterated as you can see.

‘Literally heartbroken.’

‘I don’t want your sympathy but I do want people to check your smoke alarms, unplug your chargers, check they’re not overheating and the one thing I never had – insure your homes.

‘Take my advice please.

‘We’re safe.’

The tragic event ended up destroying most of the family’s home and sentimental items right before Christmas

Hundreds of social media users have been left shocked by the footage. A bedroom is destroyed by the fire

The family are staying in a hotel are currently staying in a hotel while they attempt to find somewhere to stay in the lead up to Christmas

Ms Symes said: ‘I have a son with additional needs, Kane, and a daughter, Kiera, and a two-year old daughter called Ayesha. The older two have lost so much from the fire – more-so Kane, as the fire started in his room’

Horrific images show the aftermath of Kane’s bedroom which is completely destroyed and burned to pieces.

Ms Symes and her family are currently staying in a hotel while they attempt to find somewhere to stay in the lead up to Christmas.

Hundreds of social media users have been left shocked by the footage.

Dawn Kemley said: ‘I’m so sorry, you must all be devastated but thank God you’re all okay. Give me a shout if I can help in any way.’

Joanne Holland said: ‘OMG, how scary. I just went and unplugged all my chargers, which I know doesn’t seem like consolation but at least you are all unharmed and stuff can be replaced.’

Stacey Gibby said: ‘Aw, Donna – God, that’s awful.

‘The main thing is you are all safe but it must be so hard and soul destroying to see what you’ve built for your wee family, to just be taken from you.

‘I hope you’re all okay.’

Marion Mcgurk said: Aw, darling, I’m so glad you and your family are safe.

‘I know how devastating this must be and can’t imagine how you are all feeling.

‘To think a charger that we are all guilty of leaving plugged in everyday can do this.

‘Try to keep strong, at least you are all safe, darling’.

A GoFundMe has been set up for the family by a family friend, Jamie Stevenson.

He wrote: ‘Hi, so at around 8pm on the 24th of November a phone charger that was plugged in behind a bed in my friend’s house caught fire and has lead to the entire upstairs of the house being ruined and all the contents of the house ruined by either fire or smoke damage.

‘Any help at all would be greatly appreciated’.

Source: Read Full Article