Man, 66, arrested over 1987 Bedsit Murders of two women in breakthrough for one of UK's biggest unsolved double killings

DETECTIVES have today made a dramatic arrest in one of Britain's longest unsolved double murder investigations.

A man, 66, was arrested today in relation to the 1987 Bedsit Murders – when Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce, who were both in their 20s, were sexually assaulted and strangled to death just months apart.

Police announced today that the man was arrested on suspicion of murdering the two women 33 years ago.

Wendy, 25, was found dead in June 1987 in her flat in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, five months before Caroline Pierce, 20, was found dead in a remote field on Romney Marsh in Kent.

Both women were found naked and their keys were missing.

But despite a huge investigation at the time their killer has evaded justice for more than three decades.

Kent Police have revealed cold case detectives have now arrested a 66-year-old man on suspicion of the murder of both women.

He was arrested today in Heathfield, East Sussex and is due to be questioned about the two murders.

A statement released today, saying: "Cold case detectives have arrested a man on suspicion of murdering two women from Tunbridge Wells more than 30 years ago.


"The suspect, aged 66, from Heathfield, East Sussex was detained on Thursday December 3, in connection with the deaths of Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in 1987 and taken into custody."

Both young women were living a mile apart in Tunbridge Wells at the time when they were targeted and murdered and linked by police due to their striking similarities.

Wendy was found dead in her bedsit on June 23, 1987 after being sexually assaulted, beaten and strangled.

She was left naked on her bed covered by a duvet.

Officers believed her killer broke in through a faulty back window as there were no signs of forced entry.

Wendy's diary and keys with a distinctive keyring were missing and have never been found.


She had left work at about 5pm the previous day and went home after going to the bank.

After spending the evening at her boyfriend's house, he dropped her home at 11pm and kissed her goodbye on the doorstep but never saw her again.

Officers believe Caroline was killed on November 24, 1987 after she was also sexually assaulted, beaten and strangled.

Her naked body was found three weeks later by a farm worker in the dyke of a remote field on the Romney Marsh – some 40 miles away from her home.

She was last seen at about midnight being taken home by a taxi after a night out with friends.

It is believed she was attacked outside her bedsit after neighbours reported hearing screams but she was never seen alive again.

Caroline's keys with the Buster Browns restaurant fob where she worked were also never recovered.

In 2012 Kent Police revealed it had a full DNA profile of their prime suspect for both murders.

Following the breakthrough, a Kent Police spokesman said: "Families of both victims have been informed of the arrest and are being kept updated."

Source: Read Full Article