Grand Princess cruise ship carrying 21 coronavirus patients to dock in Oakland

Passengers trapped on a cruise ship off California's coast will finally be able to disembark tomorrow.

The Grand Princess, owned by Princess Cruises, will dock at the Port of Oakland where the 21 patients confirmed to have coronavirus will then be moved into isolation.

The ship is carrying 3,533 people, including 142 Britons – 121 passengers and 21 crew – and has advised all guests to stay in their rooms until disembarkment.

They have been advised that disembarkment will take several days and that those needing acute care will be taken to facilities in California.

Are you on board the ship? Email [email protected]

The cruise liner – which is carrying passengers and crew from more than 50 countries –  has been moored outside San Francisco, its home port since Wednesday.

The vessel had been due to dock in the city on Saturday, however, it was denied entry by Governor Gavin Newsom after 19 crew members and two passengers tested positive for COVID-19.

US President Donald Trump declared on Friday that he would rather have passengers on the Grand Princess stay aboard the ship, saying: "I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault."

In a tweet this morning, Princess Cruises confirmed it had been told by state and local authorities that the ship would be proceeding to Port of Oakland on Sunday.

It later said that following a review of logistics, it would berth on Monday.

The timing is yet to be determined, but passengers who need medical treatment will leave first, with the rest to disembark in the following days.

Guests who are California residents will be taken to a federally operated facility within the state for testing and isolation.

Non-Californians will be transported by the federal government to facilities in other states, while the cruise liner's crew are to be quarantined and treated aboard the ship.

Each guest will also receive a refund for the cruise, which was cancelled on the day it had been due to depart.

It is not known whether any of the 21 individuals who are infected with COVID-19 are British passengers.

Among the UK nationals stranded on the ship is Kari Kolstoe, 60, a stage four cancer patient whose next round of chemotherapy is due to start next week.

The daughter of another passenger, a 90-year-old man, said she feared her father's health was rapidly deteriorating and that he would run out of medication.

It comes as the the first UK national to die from the virus perished aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan last month.

The two ships are owned by the same cruise line, Carnival Corp.

We'll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.

Please check back regularly for updates on this developing story here at  Mirror.co.uk .

For the latest news and breaking news visit  Mirror.co.uk/news .

Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.

Follow us on Twitter  @DailyMirror – the official Daily Mirror & Mirror Online Twitter account – real news in real time.

We're also on Facebook /dailymirror – your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day from the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and Mirror Online.

Source: Read Full Article