Ex-journalist Lindsay Neilsen says harassment faced by Cuomo admin forced her to quit job

More On:

andrew cuomo

Cuomo accused of pressuring reporter to ‘eat whole sausage’ in ‘creepy’ video

Gov. Cuomo is on the verge of being done for good

Nancy Pelosi calls sexual harassment claims against Cuomo ‘credible’

Albany has to move fast to prevent a housing disaster

A former New York journalist claims the “damaging” harassment and “personal attacks” she faced by Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration was one of the reasons that led her to quit her job.

Lindsay Neilsen, in a post to Twitter Sunday, said she left Albany-based News10 ABC following the alleged “threatening” tactics and “incessant bullying” she endured by the governor’s office.

Neilsen, who left News10 in 2017 after joining the news outlet in 2012, told The Post Monday that the alleged harassment was “one of the reasons” why she quit her job.

“I didn’t want to deal with it anyone,” she said.

The fresh accusations come amid sexual harassment allegations against the governor.

“‘You have a vendetta against him don’t you!’ That was the last time I allowed someone connected to Governor Andrew Cuomo’s administration to harass and manipulate me,” Nielsen said in a statement posted to Twitter.

“It was during one of the many accusatory and threatening phone calls I received by his staff members that I realized this behavior was never going to stop,” she said. “It was shortly thereafter that I decided to leave my job at News10.”

Neilsen continued, “The late night phone calls from the administration, the constant threats to call my boss, the incessant bullying to try and get me to stop doing my job and reporting specific stories…it would never end.”

The tactics used “were deliberate, yet evasive,” the reporter charged.

“They skimmed the line of inappropriateness ever so delicately as to make you feel like they were acceptable,” she said.

She went on, “I am writing this today to make sure that those involved in this behavior back then now know that not only was it not acceptable but also that it was damaging.”

“I applaud those who have come forward recently with reports of similar behavior by the same administration.”

Neilsen told The Post that what she went through “felt like personal attacks.”

“It was very harassing,” she said.

Neilsen explained that when she’d reach out to Cuomo’s office for comment on a story she often would not get a response — only to then get a barrage of phone calls demanding changes after it was published.

“They would make it personal, claiming I have this personal vendetta against the governor, which is absolutely bogus. I was doing my job as a journalist,” she said. “All I was ever trying to do was report the story, report the facts.”

Neilsen said she decided to come forward after seeing similar reports of allegations against the Cuomo administration, including by Morgan Pehme, who served as editor-in-chief of City & State from 2012 to 2014. 

“I don’t want another reporter to have to go through that. That’s why I did it,” Neilsen tearfully said.

She’s listed as a media account executive at BH Media Group for her most recent job, according to her LinkedIn account.

Cuomo’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment by The Post Monday.

Former Cuomo staffer Charlotte Bennett, 25, alleged to The New York Times in a report published over the weekend that the governor last year made a series of inappropriate remarks that left her convinced he “wanted to sleep with” her.

Bennett’s claim came less than a week after another former staffer, Lindsey Boylan, 36, alleged that Cuomo kissed her on the lips without warning and suggested that they spend a flight playing “strip poker.”

On Sunday, Cuomo attempted to explain away his allegations of sexual harassment as “jokes” that were misinterpreted as “unwanted flirtation” – as he agreed to let New York Attorney General Letitia James appoint an outside investigator to look into the scandal.

“I acknowledge some of the things I have said have been misinterpreted as unwanted flirtation,” Cuomo said in a prepared statement. “To the extent anyone felt that way, I am truly sorry about that.”

Cuomo added, “To be clear, I never inappropriately touched anybody, and I never propositioned anybody, and I never intended to make anyone feel uncomfortable.”

“But these are allegations that New Yorkers deserve answers to,” Cuomo said.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article