At least 34 ill at Six Flags' Hurricane Harbor Splashtown from chemical leak as Texas water park closes for hazmat probe

AT LEAST 34 people have been left ill after a chemical leak at a water park in Texas, authorities said.

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Splashtown has been shut for the day after dozens of people were affected by the incident, Spring Fire Department said in a statement on Saturday.

The Houston attraction has been shut for the day after visitors reported feeling unwell with respiratory problems, a spokesperson told The Sun.

"At approximately 2.30pm this afternoon, a small number of guests in a section of the park reported feeling ill with respiratory irritation," the spokesperson said.

"The safety of our guests and team member is always our highest priority and the park was immediately cleared as we try to determine a cause.

"Out of an abundance of caution, the park has been closed for the day."

In a statement, the Spring Fire Department said several crews were on scene "providing emergency care for dozens of people who have been affected by a chemical leak".

The Harris County Fire Marshal's Office said 34 people have been affected.

"34 people gone through decon. Incident has been contained to one attraction at the park," the office said in a statement.

"People affected are experiencing minor skin and/or inhalation irritation.

"We are working to confirm and verify the chemical or chemicals involved."


A visitor warned people to stay away from the park after a "horrible chemical smell" started coming from the baby and toddler area.

"I urge anyone considering going to Splashtown to not go there," they said on Reddit.

"My family were just there and suddenly there was a burning sensation and horrible smell of chemical in the baby/toddler area of the park.

"It was very concentrated and burned our nose, throats and eyes.

"We evacuated along with others; however, the sensation of a chemical irritant exposure is still there.

"Eyes, nose, and throat are still burning almost an hour later. We could have potentially been exposed the chlorine gas."

More to follow…

For the latest news on this story keep checking back at Sun Online.

The Sun is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.

Download our fantastic, new and improved free App for the best ever Sun Online experience. For iPhone click here, for Android click hereLike us on Facebook at and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS.

    Source: Read Full Article