Trump campaign trying to pull ad of him ‘appearing to call coronavirus a HOAX’ – The Sun

DONALD Trump’s reelection campaign is trying to have an ad of the president appearing to say the coronavirus is a hoax removed from the air.

Posted online Monday by Priorities USA Action Fund, the video displays an edited timeline of Trump’s downplayed response to the coronavirus since the global outbreak began in January.

“The coronavirus, this is their new hoax. We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China,” he says in the video, which includes his quotes from different dates.

“One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear,” the president says as the video shows the number of infected people in the U.S. growing.

“When you have 15 people, and within a couple of days is going to be down to zero people,”

“We really think we’ve done a great job in keeping [the coronavirus] down to a minimum,” Trump is heard saying.



The video ends with a clip of Trump speaking to the press in the White House Rose Garden, telling reporters: “No I don’t take responsibility at all.”

The video was created by Priorities USA Action Fund, a Democratic super PAC (political action committee).

The PAC is spending $6 million to run the ad on television and throughout digital outlets, and began running it on Tuesday in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Florida, per Politico.

The Trump campaign sent a cease and desist letter to the PAC to television stations airing the ad, according to a press release from the campaign, which described the video as a “false, negative attack.”

“The ad contains the false assertion that President Trump called the coronavirus a ‘hoax,’ when in fact he was referring to Democrat criticisms and politicization of the federal response to the public health crisis,” his reelection campaign said.

In February, during a campaign rally in South Carolina, Trump said Democrats were trying to use the coronavirus pandemic to undermine his leadership.

“They tried the impeachment hoax. … This is their new hoax,” Trump told the crowd.

He accused Democrats of “politicizing” the virus’ threat and boasted about preventive steps he ordered to try to keep the virus that originated in China from spreading across the U.S.

As of Thursday, more than 1,000 people have died in the U.S. and nearly 70,000 people have tested positive for the coronavirus after it quickly spread throughout the country.

Before the outbreak really affected the U.S., Trump did repeatedly downplay the coronavirus. He said his administration had it “very well under control.”

The president compared the deadly virus to the seasonal flu, saying it was nothing that Americans should be overly concerned about and something that would quickly pass.

In January, he said: “We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully.”

“But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for it. …. That I can assure you.”

Soon after, the Trump administration said it would suspend entry into the U.S. by any foreign nationals who had traveled to China in the past 14 days, excluding the immediate family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

By then, more than 200 people had died, and nearly 9,800 had been infected worldwide.

In recent weeks, Trump changed his tune, and declared a national emergency because of the coronavirus.

But over the weekend, the president said he hopes to have the country's economy “reopened” by Easter Sunday on April 12, even as scientists warn the pandemic will continue to get worse.

Source: Read Full Article

Deontay Wilder could pull out of Fury rematch to allow Gypsy King to fight Anthony Joshua in June, reveals Eddie Hearn – The Sun

MATCHROOM promoter Eddie Hearn has declared Deontay Wilder could step aside to let Tyson Fury face Anthony Joshua in the summer.

The Bronze Bomber is expected to activate his rematch clause to get it on with the Gypsy King for a third time following his defeat in Las Vegas last week.

Fury, 31, dropped Wilder, 34, twice at the MGM Grand before he eventually stopped him in the seventh round to win the WBC heavyweight title.

And after sinking some well-deserved beers in an airport bar following his incredible performance, the unbeaten Brit was treated to a celebratory cake by his wife Paris.

Attention is now turning to who the 6ft 9in star will face next, with Hearn hopeful he can fight AJ, but is aware that the 2012 Olympic gold medallist has been ordered to face his IBF mandatory Kubrat Pulev next.

Speaking to BoxingScene.com, he said: "If I'm Deontay Wilder, I don't really want that (third Fury) fight until September, October.

"So, there's two things you can do. Number one is let Joshua and Fury fight in June or July, and then Wilder fights the winner in November, December. All right?

"Or, fight (Fury) quickly for us in July, or something like that, and let Joshua fight the winner. Or the other one is let Joshua and Fury fight in October, and then you fight the winner in January or February.

"But then you've got to sit out for nearly a year. But anything is solvable with money. You know what I mean?"

He added: "I don’t like step-aside deals, because you start taking money from the pot. You’ve gotta give [Kubrat] Pulev some. You’ve gotta give Wilder some.

"And also, fighters don’t like giving other fighters money from the pot, because they’re not actually doing anything. You know what I mean? So, it’s like you’re getting all that money and you ain’t even fighting.

"But the pot is so big that you can do it. There is definitely a deal to be made to give Wilder step-aside money, to make this fight. But it’s timing.

“You know, it’s like, ‘Well, we’re fighting in June and we’re about to sign a contract to fight Kubrat Pulev.’ Luckily, Bob [Arum] represents Kubrat Pulev. So, that would be solvable.

"But AJ doesn't want to wait until September or October to fight again because he boxed in December. So, my gut feeling is we go with Pulev in June and then hopefully, [Fury and Wilder] fight at the end of July, or something like that, and then we fight [the winner] in November, December.”

A host of possible venues have been touted to host the potential Fury vs Joshua clash, and while Wembley would be the obvious choice, the fight could take place in the Middle East.

Fury's promoter Frank Warren is seeking an Old Trafford bout as he looks to fulfil his boxer's wishes of competing at the Theatre of Dreams.


Writing for talkSPORT, the 68-year-old insisted that if the mega-fight was to happen, both fighters must agree to a 50/50 deal.

He said: "We want to get the fight on, the fight will be on a 50/50 basis and it’s as simple as that. No one’s gonna duck it. Anthony Joshua needs Tyson, he’s in his slipstream now, he needs him.

"It’s Fury vs Joshua, not Joshua vs Fury. Joshua’s got Tyson’s belts that he vacated. Tyson’s the main man, but egos have got to go out the window."

Source: Read Full Article