Trump campaign trying to pull ad of him ‘appearing to call coronavirus a HOAX’ – The Sun

DONALD Trump’s reelection campaign is trying to have an ad of the president appearing to say the coronavirus is a hoax removed from the air.

Posted online Monday by Priorities USA Action Fund, the video displays an edited timeline of Trump’s downplayed response to the coronavirus since the global outbreak began in January.

“The coronavirus, this is their new hoax. We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China,” he says in the video, which includes his quotes from different dates.

“One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear,” the president says as the video shows the number of infected people in the U.S. growing.

“When you have 15 people, and within a couple of days is going to be down to zero people,”

“We really think we’ve done a great job in keeping [the coronavirus] down to a minimum,” Trump is heard saying.



The video ends with a clip of Trump speaking to the press in the White House Rose Garden, telling reporters: “No I don’t take responsibility at all.”

The video was created by Priorities USA Action Fund, a Democratic super PAC (political action committee).

The PAC is spending $6 million to run the ad on television and throughout digital outlets, and began running it on Tuesday in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Florida, per Politico.

The Trump campaign sent a cease and desist letter to the PAC to television stations airing the ad, according to a press release from the campaign, which described the video as a “false, negative attack.”

“The ad contains the false assertion that President Trump called the coronavirus a ‘hoax,’ when in fact he was referring to Democrat criticisms and politicization of the federal response to the public health crisis,” his reelection campaign said.

In February, during a campaign rally in South Carolina, Trump said Democrats were trying to use the coronavirus pandemic to undermine his leadership.

“They tried the impeachment hoax. … This is their new hoax,” Trump told the crowd.

He accused Democrats of “politicizing” the virus’ threat and boasted about preventive steps he ordered to try to keep the virus that originated in China from spreading across the U.S.

As of Thursday, more than 1,000 people have died in the U.S. and nearly 70,000 people have tested positive for the coronavirus after it quickly spread throughout the country.

Before the outbreak really affected the U.S., Trump did repeatedly downplay the coronavirus. He said his administration had it “very well under control.”

The president compared the deadly virus to the seasonal flu, saying it was nothing that Americans should be overly concerned about and something that would quickly pass.

In January, he said: “We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully.”

“But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for it. …. That I can assure you.”

Soon after, the Trump administration said it would suspend entry into the U.S. by any foreign nationals who had traveled to China in the past 14 days, excluding the immediate family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

By then, more than 200 people had died, and nearly 9,800 had been infected worldwide.

In recent weeks, Trump changed his tune, and declared a national emergency because of the coronavirus.

But over the weekend, the president said he hopes to have the country's economy “reopened” by Easter Sunday on April 12, even as scientists warn the pandemic will continue to get worse.

Source: Read Full Article

NHS campaign promoting smear tests fails to mention women in leaflet

NHS campaign promoting cervical smear tests fails to mention women in leaflet – but does offer guidance for transgender men

  • Informational leaflet was created by Public Health England on behalf of the NHS
  • Early edition did not mention specifically women under heading ‘Who we invite’
  • Been amended to say ‘cervical screening is for women and people with a cervix’

An NHS campaign to encourage more people to attend smear tests included leaflets which failed to specifically mention women in a section detailing who is eligible.

The leaflet, which was created by Public Health England on behalf of the NHS, included specific instruction for transgender men under the heading ‘Who we invite’.

According to the Sunday Times, an early edition of the informational booklet read: ‘If you are a transgender (trans) man registered with your GP as a female, we will send you invitations for cervical screening.

‘If you are registered as male you will not receive invitations, but your GP or practice nurse can arrange an appointment for you if you have a cervix. If you are a trans woman you do not need a cervical screening.’

An NHS campaign to encourage more people to attend smear tests included leaflets which failed to specifically mention women in a section detailing who is eligible (stock image)

Public Health England (PHE) has since amended the leaflet to read ‘Cervical screening is for women and people with a cervix’ under the aforementioned heading. 

It said the initial version of the leaflet was an ‘oversight’ in a response to a freedom of information request. 

But despite the amendment, Nicola Williams, director of the Fair Play for Women campaign group, claimed the latest version may still create confusion as ‘women who don’t speak English as a first language may not know what “people with a cervix” means.’

‘That is why we use common language like “a woman,”‘ she added.

Pictured: An online version of the amended leaflet by Public Health England

People aged 25 to 64, who have a cervix, are invited to attend a cervical screening – or smear test – every three or five years depending on their age.

The NHS estimates that smear tests save around 5,000 lives each year, but the percentage of eligible people who underwent a screening hit a 20-year low in 2017-18. 

It is also said cervical screening currently prevents around 70 per cent of cervical cancer deaths in England. But if everyone attended screening regularly this could jump to 83 per cent. 

PHE said: ‘Gender-neutral language is already an approach adopted elsewhere in government, health and the legal system, and PHE screening should not be out of step with this.

‘We should be at the forefront of being inclusive, but also ensure we do not alienate the core populations that screening information is aimed at.’ 

It declined to comment further when approached by MailOnline. 

Source: Read Full Article

Trump campaign sues CNN for libel, seeking millions of dollars

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s re-election campaign filed a libel lawsuit against CNN on Friday — the third such suit against a media organization in the last 10 days.

The suit, first reported by Fox News, alleges that CNN intentionally published “false and defamatory” statements about the Trump campaign seeking help from Russia to win the 2020 election.

The complaint says it stems from an opinion piece posted on CNN.com on June 13, 2019, by Larry Noble and headlined, “Soliciting dirt on your opponents from a foreign government is a crime. Mueller should have charged Trump campaign officials with it.” It was labeled as an opinion piece and featured a disclaimer that Noble is a CNN contributor but the commentary is solely his own view.

The piece states that Trump’s campaign “assessed the potential risks and benefits of again seeking Russia’s help in 2020 and has decided to leave that option on the table” as a fact, the lawsuit argues, and it remained on CNN’s website despite Trump’s legal team sending a request to retract and apologize last month.

“The complaint alleges CNN was aware of the falsity at the time it published them but did so for the intentional purpose of hurting the campaign while misleading its own readers in the process,” the Trump re-election campaign’s senior legal adviser, Jenna Ellis, told Fox News.

The latest suit, filed in the federal court for the Northern District of Georgia, where CNN is headquartered, comes after the campaign sued the Washington Post on Tuesday and the New York Times last Wednesday.

Ellis said the three lawsuits would “hold the publishers accountable for their reckless false reporting and also to establish the truth.”

“False statements are not protected under the U.S. Constitution; therefore, these suits will have no chilling effect on freedom of the press. If journalists are more accurate in their statements and reporting, that would be a positive development, but not why these suits were filed,” Ellis told Fox News.

“Noble has written numerous articles accusing the President of criminal activity, and of campaign finance and ethics violations, and has lodged a complaint against a Super-PAC which supports the President,” the complaint says. “CNN clearly had a malicious motive in publishing the Defamatory Article, and acted with reckless disregard for the truth.”

On Wednesday, the campaign hit the Washington Post with a libel lawsuit over two 2019 columns that suggested it sought re-election help from Russia and North Korea.

They also sued the New York Times last week, claiming the newspaper libeled the president when it said his 2016 campaign was working with Russia to defeat Hillary Clinton.

Source: Read Full Article

Sanders campaign raised massive $46.5 million in February

The Democratic presidential campaign of Sen. Bernie Sanders announced Sunday that it has raised $46.5 million during February from 2.2 million donations.

The haul, the best fundraising month of the campaign, came as the candidate took first place in New Hampshire and Nevada and finished in a virtual tie with Pete Buttigieg in Iowa.

“The senator’s multigenerational, multiracial working-class coalition keeps fueling his campaign for transformational change a few bucks at a time,” campaign manager Faiz Shakir said in a statement Sunday. “We’re especially proud that of the more than 2 million donations we received this month, over 1.4 million were from voters in states that vote on Super Tuesday.”

It raised $4.5 million the last day of the month.

Coming off Sanders’ second-place finish behind Joe Biden in South Carolina on Saturday, his campaign said that it will make television ad buys in nine states with primary contests on March 10 and March 17.

It also has ads running in 12 of the 14 states voting on March 3, Super Tuesday.

Sanders has raised more than $167 million from 8.7 million individual donors since entering the race in February 2019.

With Post wires

Source: Read Full Article