Vet reveals why you should ALWAYS take your dog’s collar off inside the house
- A spokesperson for Royal Vista Vets in Colorado has issued a stark warning
- READ MORE: Vet reveals the key warning signs that your pet is seriously ill
While dog collars are indispensable outside, it’s actually safer to remove your pet’s in the comfort of your home, a vet has revealed.
A spokesperson for Royal Vista Vets in Colorado explained that collars can be a strangulation hazard if your pet is wearing it at home, because it could catch on furniture or other items of décor.
The statement was released after a 14-month-old Golden Retriever got his collar stuck while playing, panicked and twisted around to free himself, which caused the collar to tighten around his neck.
The practice added that the pup, named Percy, is now on the road to recovery, but not before a painful and expensive trip to the vet’s intensive care unit where he had to receive oxygen and pain medication.
They added that while Percy’s story had a happy ending, the outcome would have been different if his owners hadn’t been there to intervene.
A spokesperson for Royal Vista Vets in Colorado explained that collars can be a strangulation hazard if your pet is wearing it at home, as it could catch onto pieces of furniture or décor. Stock image
‘The strangulation hazard of dogs playing while wearing collars is a hidden danger that many pet owners don’t know about, but a story we hear with some frequency in our emergency clinics,’ a spokesperson for the practice said.
They advised that pets should not be wearing collars unsupervised to avoid any possibility of accidental strangulation.
The practice revealed that Percy was playing when his collar became stuck, and made the situation worse by moving around to free himself.
Thankfully, his owner was home and picked up that something was wrong, releasing the pup’s collar before Percy lost consciousness.
Dr. Hunter Finn, from Texas, has more than 2.2 million followers on TikTok. In a recent video, the vet warned dog lovers about pooches doing a ‘drunk walk’
However, the poor pup was already in distress, had difficult breathing and was drooling, and in need of medical help at this point, and had to be transported to Royal Vista for treatment.
The two warning signs dog owners should be looking out for
Dr. Hunter Finn explains a dog that has a ‘drunk walk’ should seek medical attention: ‘Many things can cause this but [you] want to get a full assessment of your dog’s spinal cord… ASAP’
Vomiting up ‘nothing’
It could be a symptom of bloat or gastric dilatation-volvulus, which could be deadly if it goes untreated
X-rays of the pup showed he had liquid in his lung, due to the time he had spent struggling to breathe.
Thankfully, the vet was able to provide the pooch with extra oxygen, and this, combined with pain meds, helped his recovery.
It comes as another vet has revealed the signs that all dog owners should be looking out for that could help their pets avoid serious illness – and even save their lives.
Dr. Hunter Finn, who owns Pet Method Animal Hospital in McKinney, Texas, has more than 2.2 million followers on TikTok, where he shares a peek into his life as a vet and expert advice.
In a recent video, the vet warned dog lovers about pooches doing a ‘drunk walk.’
The brief clip depicts a conversation between a pet owner and a vet, with Dr. Finn playing both parts.
‘So my dog has not been jumping on and off the couch lately,’ the owner says.
‘Does he seem [in pain] at all?’ the vet responds.
‘No but he walks like he’s drunk,’ the owner tells him.
Dr. Finn then warns: ‘Get that dog to the vet now.’
The caption of his video, which has been more than 29,000 views at the time of writing, reads: ‘Many things can cause this but [you] want to get a full assessment of your dog’s spinal cord from a vet ASAP.’
Source: Read Full Article