Martin Lewis warns Brits not to miss out on tax return worth up to £1,000

Martin Lewis has explained that married couples could be owed as much as £1,000 by HMRC.

The finance expert claimed that those who are married or in a civil partnership could be due a tax break of £250 per year.

And, this rebate can be backdated to 2017.

That's a hefty sum which could be splashed on a holiday (restrictions allowing) or saved for a rainy day.

This is because of the Marriage tax allowance which Martin says many people have never claimed when they're eligible to do so.

What's your top tip for saving money? Tell us in the comments section below…

And, if they haven’t they could claim back four years worth of money by filling in a simple form on the HMRC website.

Speaking on aThe Martin Lewis Money Show Live, the finance journalist advised: "If you are a married couple or in a civil partnership – not common law, just living together doesn't count – and one of you is a non-taxpayer, the other is a basic 20% rate taxpayer, then this person can give 10 per cent of their tax-free allowance to the other person.

"You apply online at and it's worth about £250 this year, but you can go back four years."

He continued: "The past years are done by cheque, this year is done by tax code change. It's very lucrative, there are over one million people who aren't claiming it."

The tax break means that if one person in the couple earns less than their personal allowance of £12,570 and the other pays basic tax (meaning they earn between £12,571 to £43,66) then you can transfer 10% of your personal allowance to your other half.

Like what you see? Then fill your boots…

Want to bring a little glamour to your life every day with all the most exciting real-life stories, fashion and even sex tips HOT off the press?

Well, we've got you covered with our great new Hot Topics newsletter – it'll drop straight into your inbox around 7pm and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

And signing up now means you'll get a front row seat for our great new series inside the lives of the next generation of Daily Star Page 3 girls.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

This causes a reduction in tax for the higher earning partner.

To make a claim head over to the website's Marriage Allowance section where you'll need to fill in a form for the tax cut.

Meanwhile, the Money Saving Expert warned Brits about a Universal Credit flaw which could cost you money.

And, a DIY fan transformed their dressing room using bargains from as little as £2.99.

Source: Read Full Article