Media playback is not supported on this device
Tottenham forward Son Heung-min is to self-isolate in line with national guidelines regarding the spread of coronavirus when he returns to the UK from South Korea.
Son, 27, travelled to Seoul for surgery on a fractured arm earlier this month.
Tottenham say he will follow “government advice” and stay indoors as a precaution upon his return.
Newcastle and West Ham have banned handshakes at their training grounds in an attempt to stop the virus’ spread.
“There’s a ritual here that everybody shakes hands with everybody as soon as we see each other every morning – we’ve stopped that on the advice of the doctor,” said Newcastle manager Steve Bruce.
“Thankfully, we’ve got a superb doctor here and he will keep us informed of what we have to do.
“We’re like everybody else, we’re glued to the TV for where it’s going to go next and let’s hope it doesn’t get any worse in this country.”
West Ham boss David Moyes said: “After consulting with the medical team, we have supplied all the players with hand gel to keep with them.
“We’ve also agreed to no shaking hands at the moment, just fist bumps. If we score tomorrow, of course they’ll be able to celebrate.”
- What now for sport and coronavirus?
- Coronavirus: What you need to know
More than 80,000 people have been infected by the virus, which originated in China but has since spread to more than 50 countries, resulting in nearly 2,800 deaths.
Three more cases of the virus were confirmed in the UK on Friday, bringing the total number in the country to 19.
The Premier League says clubs are following the same NHS and government advice issued to all businesses and venues which are used by large numbers of people.
There is currently no suggestion or guidance to take any additional measures, though the body says clubs are free to do so where deemed necessary.
Arsenal have introduced extra checks for media attending Saturday’s news conference at the club’s training ground, while Everton have contacted all staff informing them of the latest government guidelines.
Spanish La Liga side Valencia have cancelled “all meetings or public gatherings in enclosed spaces that present risk to players, coaching staff and club staff” after the first confirmed cases of coronavirus in the city.
A number of football matches in Italy have already been postponed or ordered to be played behind closed doors following an outbreak of the virus in the north of the country.
Other major sporting events, including Six Nations rugby and the Chinese Grand Prix, have also been postponed because of the outbreak.
Source: Read Full Article