Elsewhere, three more F1 Grand Prix events have been cancelled, former Chelsea striker Gonzalo Higuain was stopped at an airport trying to flee Italy for Argentina and workers at Cheltenham Festival fear they have spread the virus.
Follow all the latest news and updates as the sporting world deals with the threat of coronavirus…
A REAL LION
Fans have called for England manager Gareth Southgate to take over from Boris Johnson as Prime Minister.
The Three Lions boss has been praised for his “typical classy” message to supporters during the coronavirus outbreak.
In an inspirational open letter to fans, he said: “In the way you’ve all come together to support our team, we must now work together to combat a virus that is causing physical and emotional issues to many.
“Look out for each other. Please don’t suffer alone, and remember that our great country has come through these enormous challenges before – and, together, we will do so again.
“We were due to play next week and to represent you all this summer, but now is clearly the moment for us to take centre-stage.
“The heroes will be the men and women who continue working tirelessly in our hospitals and medical centres to look after our friends and families.”
ONE AND O
Leyton Orient manager Ross Embleton has praised the club's media staff for coming up with the idea of staging a fundraising 128-team FIFA 20 tournament.
Money will be raised for Football League clubs whose finances will be hit by suspension of the leagues due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The O's media team of Luke Lambourne and Dan Walker came up with the concept, which was initially for only 64 clubs before the ultimatequaranteam tournament went viral.
Goalkeeper Sam Sargeant will be Orient's player, with the virtual action set to get underway on Sunday and excitement is building.
Embleton told Sky Sports News: “The Quarantine Cup has gone through the roof and it's important to acknowledge our two media boys, Dan and Luke, have only been working together for two weeks, so to come up with this idea is genius.
“I know it has created a huge amount of interest and so far the Quarantine Cup has pulled together an extra 23,000 followers or something along those lines.”
Well done, Leyton Orient. Well done.
MIK OF TIME
John Obi Mikel quit Trabzonspor after a ‘threat’ from the Turkish club.
The ex-Chelsea midfielder ripped up his contract and fled back to the UK to be with his family during the coronavirus while Turkish Super Lig games continued to be played.
He was hauled in front of the club's chief and told to take down an Instagram post where he said he didn't want to play football.
Speaking to the Athletic, Mikel said: “They were really upset about the whole thing.
“I was told to meet with the president in his office one-on-one.
“He asked me to take it down (the post). I told him I wasn’t going to do that. It’s my opinion. This is how I feel.
“We live in a free world. I have freedom of speech. I can express my opinion.”
View this post on Instagram
There is more to life than football. I do not feel comfortable and don’t want to play football in this situation. Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones in this critical time. Season should be cancelled as the world is facing such turbulent times.
A post shared byMikel Obi (@mikel_john_obi) on
Conor McGregor says he will come out of his coronavirus isolation “like Bruce Lee”.
The UFC star, 31, shared a throwback tweet from 2013 when he says isolation “worked for me”.
And Notorious is determined to make the most of his period away from the outside world as he urged his followers to “come out of this better than before”.
McGregor brought up a Tweet from almost seven years ago which read: “ISOLATION, VISUALISATION, MOTIVATION, DEDICATION. NO OUTSIDERS.”
And the 31-year-old then went on to compare himself to martial arts legend Lee before sharing a photoshopped image of Lee with McGregor’s famous tattoos on his body.
OFF THE TABLE
The Subbuteo World Cup has followed Euro 2020 in being pushed back a year due to coronavirus.
Yep, it really existed and yep, it was due to held in Rome on September 5-6.
More than 2,000 people have died in Italy, with the morgues said to be “overflowing”.
The extreme nature of the global pandemic has put a stop to all sports – even those held indoors on top of a table.
A statement from the Federation of International Sports Table Football read: “The FISTF and the Federazione Italiana Sportiva Calcio Tavolo (FISCT) have reached a unanimous decision, and with heavy hearts, to postpone the FISTF World Cup 2020 until 2021.”
Source: Read Full Article