Archbishop of Canterbury denies marrying Meghan Markle and Prince Harry three days before royal wedding

Want the most up-to-date celebrity exclusives sent straight to your inbox every day? Sign up now and join the club!

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle did not have a secret back garden wedding, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

During their "tell all" Oprah Winfrey interview, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex claimed they had a private wedding officiated by Justin Welby days before their public ceremony on 19 May 2018.

Speaking to Italian newspaper La Repubblica, the 65 year old Archbishop explained that he held confidential meetings with Meghan, 39, and 36 year old Prince Harry but did not officiate a marriage.

"If any of you ever talk to a priest, you expect them to keep that talk confidential," he told the publication. "It doesn't matter who I'm talking to. I had a number of private and pastoral meetings with the Duke and Duchess before the wedding."

  • Meghan Markle is ‘planning a home birth’ with her second child after welcoming Archie in hospital

  • Prince Harry 'trying to keep up' with 'very bright' wife Meghan Markle as he 'finds his own identity'

Get exclusive celebrity stories and fabulous photoshoots straight to your inbox with OK!'s daily newsletter. You can sign up at the top of the page.

He went on to insist: "The legal wedding was on the Saturday.

"I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious criminal offence if I signed it knowing it was false.

"So you can make what you like about. But the legal wedding was on the Saturday."

Despite making his stance on the official wedding clear, he refused to go into detail about his private meetings with Meghan and Harry, who are expecting their second child together, as he added: "But I won't say what happened at any other meetings."

  • Sign up for the BEST celebrity house tours and BIGGEST exclusive interviews

  • Download OK! magazine's FREE app and get all the gossip straight to your phone

During the royal couple's bombshell interview with Oprah, Meghan told the 67 year old talk show host: "You know, three days before our wedding, we got married. No one knows that.

"We called the Archbishop and we just said, 'Look, this thing, this spectacle is for the world but we want our union between us'.

"So, like, the vows that we have framed in our room are just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury."

Become an OK! VIP and see all our exclusives – for free!

Become an OK! VIP and you will unlock access to all of our big exclusives…

Be the first to meet the latest showbiz babies, see the most sought after wedding pictures of the year, or take a guided tour around your favourite star's lavish multi-million pound home – all for free!

Sign up here

Harry added: "Just the three of us."

It comes after the former chief clerk at the Faculty Office, Mr Borton, was previously forced to deny Meghan and Harry's claims too, claiming that they must be "confused".

"I’m sorry, but Meghan is obviously confused and clearly misinformed," he told The Sun Online.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

  • Where are Prince Harry's 'exes' now …
  • Third movie about Prince Harry and M…
  • Five times royals broke beauty proto…
  • Prince Harry's new boss refuses to d…
  • Piers Morgan claims Prince Harry 'can't be happy' with Meghan Markle as he calls recent drama 'out of character'

“They did not marry three days earlier in front of the Archbishop of Canterbury.

"The Special Licence I helped draw up enabled them to marry at St George’s Chapel in Windsor. What happened there on May 19 2018 and was seen by millions around the world was the official wedding as recognised by the Church of England and the law.

“What I suspect they did was exchange some simple vows they had perhaps written themselves, and which is fashionable, and said that in front of the Archbishop – or, and more likely, it was a simple rehearsal.”

Source: Read Full Article